Wednesday, April 16, 2008

origin of racism

So, I have been taking a lot of anthropology classes lately to fill my minor requirements and it's really got me thinking about the origin of current issues. With all the talk about racism because of Sen. Obama I have been thinking a lot about it. Based on history we can see that there have always been division of class and that American was not the only country stealing Africans from their country for the use of slavery. But, what I have been wondering is the possibility of the blackening of skin on Caine as the justification or origin of racism. I know that Heavenly Father never intended for it to be that way, but is it possible that we as man see it that way??? Any thoughts???

5 comments:

diane said...

That is a fascinating question. I wish I had some insight, but I will be pondering this!

Annalisa said...

Book of Mormon says the curse was lifted...so my thought is the darkened skin is just genetic. And technically we're all the same race by definition just different ethnic origin considering we haven't evolved into different races, i stand by saying its just a genetic condition in variants with skintone. That's my thoughts anyway, LOL.

ferntyler said...

Trust annalisa to have an interesting insight on that.. I know they say the curse was lifted, but it is interesting to see how many Africans were used as slaves compared to Europeans.. is that just cultural/location based or is it racial/color based? i guess that's the same thing you were asking, I'm thinking out loud now :)

The Family Rasheed said...

Annalisa I completely agree with you, but do you think that some men may have used the curse as a justification for racism? also, when the flood came all of caine's posterity was drowned in the flood, so techniquiely the curse from caine was washed away, right?

Bryn said...

People do always have their own interpretation, don't they? I have been seeing a genetic counselor and tend to agree with Annalisa about genetics and also location as far as for survival. Also, I recently discovered that everyone in the world had brown eyes until there was a genetic mutation of the pigment being turned off which then created blue eyes. So I wonder if back then, the blue eyed people were scorned...people are usually worried about what's different.. What a great question to ponder...