Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wisdom Wednesday



'I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back.' Maya Angelou

Lately I have felt a little bit like the one with two catcher's gloves. It seems that there are times in life where we get so focused on what we want that we loose sight of what we are giving. As mother's we are always giving to our children and husband's, but what are we doing beyond that? This is the trap I get caught in. I rely on the fact that serving our family is service enough, but I am affraid that I will be found wanting in the service department wondering why I didn't give more. It does not require much effort; a friendly call to someone in need, a helping hand to a stranger who needs help loading their groceries into their car, a few words of encouragement to someone needing a lift. These things are service too and these things I can do. The question is why don't I? So for this week my goal is to find a way every day that I can give a little extra to those whom I do not always serve.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

What a great analogy! TFS

Liz said...

That is a great quote, and a great plan!! You're right, it is pretty simple to help other people, but usually we're so self absorbed that we don't look outside ourselves to see what others need. I think I'll follow your example and try to give a hand to those who may need it!

ferntyler said...

I totally need to work on this one - I'm always offering to help when it is too late, because I don't realize people need it until they don't need it anymore! thanks for the reminder.

diane said...

I think you need to sit back and enjoy receiving a little service right now.